Northeastern School District Volunteer Policy
Thank you very much for your interest in volunteering within the Northeastern School District. We appreciate your willingness to be a part of our school community.
As part of the district's ongoing efforts to ensure student safety, a new volunteer policy was put into place for the 2011-12 school year. The district's Safe Schools Committee is following a recommendation from the PA State Auditor General's Office, which requires all volunteers to undergo both a Child Welfare and PA Criminal Background Check. Those who volunteer more than 10 hours per week and are in direct contact with students must also undergo a tuberculosis (TB) test.
Please note that volunteers must be approved by the Northeastern Board of School Directors. Clearances do not have to be renewed unless there is a break of service of one year or more. Volunteers must be at least 18 years old.
Reviewing clearances allows the district to ensure that the adults who are working with our students do not have criminal backgrounds. The Northeastern School District wishes to take the necessary steps to maintain a safe school environment for its students.
Examples of Volunteers Requiring Clearances:
Field Trip Volunteers
Fun Day Volunteers
Book Fair Volunteers
Kid Writing Volunteers
Marching Band Volunteers
Track & Field Day Volunteers
Examples of Volunteers NOT Requiring Clearances:
Junior Achievement Volunteers
* Obtain a PA State Criminal History Background Check (Act 34).
* Obtain a PA Child Abuse History Clearance (Act 151). You will need to include a $10 money order. Results of the Criminal History Background Check must be submitted with the PA Child Abuse History Clearance. Click here for instructions.
* If you will be volunteering 10 or more hours/week, you will need to obtain a tuberculin (TB) test from your physician. Please submit these results with your application.
* Complete the Volunteer Information Form.
* Read and sign the Volunteer Agreement Form.
* Review this checklist to be sure you have the necessary paperwork and clearances
* Return the above information (including copies of the results of both clearances and the TB test, if applicable) to the Administration Center at 41 Harding Street in Manchester.
Please note: Clearance results may take 6-8 weeks. Once the completed registration forms, clearances, and TB test results have been reviewed, you will receive notification that you are eligible for volunteering and you can begin your volunteer service immediately. Anyone without the approved paperwork on file will not be permitted to volunteer. Please call (717) 266-3667 ext. 10140 if you have any questions.
Thank you for taking the time to complete these important steps. Your enthusiasm and interest in being involved in the education of our students is greatly appreciated. We hope you enjoy volunteering within the Northeastern School District!